1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Next   

Carry-On brand Camping Trailer

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

dcollier32

Threads: 1

Hello 

Okay, don't judge me or criticize me too bad here.  [Image: huh.gif] 

But, I have recently purchased a Carry-On 4x6 angle iron trailer and I am eager to start building it up for my camping trailer. With that being said, I need info on what it's going to take to upgrade the wheels and tires. These little bitty 12"ers just isn't going to cut the mustard off road on the trails. One plan that I do have for this trailer is, I am removing the stock vertical side rails and replacing them with longer ones, to give me an inside bed rail height of 16”... 
As always, Thanks for your time and God Bless!
Derek C.
Hampton, GA

Scott

Super Moderator

Threads: 154

What size tires do you plan on running?

I would leave the sides alone. Add a No Weld Rack, then you can attach some extended sides to the rack uprights.
Scott Chaney - Owner of Compact Camping Concepts
Home of the DIY Explorer Box and Dinoot trailers, also Tent Topped camping

dcollier32

(12-28-2018, 02:30 PM) Scott Wrote: What size tires do you plan on running?

I would leave the sides alone.  Add a No Weld Rack, then you can attach some extended sides to the rack uprights.

Well, currently my 2018 F150 has 265/60r18 on it. I'm thinking about possibly putting a leveling kit on it and installing some 33's some day. But for now, I would like to stay close to what is on my truck, so around a 31ish tire.

About the sides. I have decided instead of raising the side rails, that I am going to build a removable enclosed box to store everything in, and use the rack the mount up the tent.
Derek C.
Hampton, GA

Scott

Super Moderator

Ok on the sides, that will work.

For tires in that size range, would swap in a properly sized 3.5K lb rated axle. To match the 6 on 135mm bolt pattern would need to use adapters.

dcollier32

(12-30-2018, 07:27 AM) Scott Wrote: Ok on the sides, that will work.

For tires in that size range, would swap in a properly sized 3.5K lb rated axle.  To match the 6 on 135mm bolt pattern would need to use adapters.

What kind of prices am I looking at, for an 3,500# axle that matches the width of the stock axle that's under the trailer now? 
As for as trying to match the 6 lug hub pattern. I'm not to concerned with that, because I have a set of old JKU wheels laying around not being used for anything.

Also, where is a good source that you can recommend me going to, to look into making my own portable power source? I need to make it modular, so that I can remove it when I need to use the trailer for other uses.
Derek C.
Hampton, GA

Scott

Super Moderator

A 3500 lb capacity axle built to the specs for your build is $159. Are the JK wheels you have steel or aluminum?

Don't do much 12V power stuff at this point, so not sure on the best source(s).

dcollier32

(12-31-2018, 12:58 PM) Scott Wrote: A 3500 lb capacity axle built to the specs for your build is $159.  Are the JK wheels you have steel or aluminum?

Don't do much 12V power stuff at this point, so not sure on the best source(s).

The wheels I have, are the standard 17" aluminum wheels.
Is that a determining factor?
Derek C.
Hampton, GA

Scott

Super Moderator

With many factory aluminum wheels, including Jeep ones, the center hole is too small for fitting over a trailer axle hub. To resolve this, aluminum hub are necessary ($159-$169 a pair). The center hole needs to be 2.8" all the way through for a wheel to fit on a trailer axle.

dcollier32

(01-01-2019, 07:52 AM) Scott Wrote: With many factory aluminum wheels, including Jeep ones, the center hole is too small for fitting over a trailer axle hub.  To resolve this, aluminum hub are necessary ($159-$169 a pair).  The center hole needs to be 2.8" all the way through for a wheel to fit on a trailer axle.

OH! okay...
What about the steel JK wheels? I may have access to a pair of those.
Derek C.
Hampton, GA

Scott

Super Moderator

All the the stamped steel Jeep wheel fit fine

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Next