Help  Portal
 Portal
Hello There, Guest!  Register  Login

Harbor Freight 4x6 Camping Trailer Build in NC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wingnut

Threads: 1

I am so excited to start this new thread!  I have been researching a camping trailer for about a year, and I finally bit the bullet last weekend and purchased a Harbor Freight trailer to start my build.  So here we go!  I'm invested in this project now, no turning back! 

My husband and I and our two children (currently both teenagers) love to visit the NC mountains.  But we are on a tight budget and can’t afford a second home or even a RV or a pop-up camper.  But we have lots of camping equipment and supplies.  Last summer I got a new/used car, a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV with a towing kit, rated to 1500 lbs.  This was the incentive I needed to start seriously planning the build.  I have looked at so many, many options and ideas and settled on a bolted trailer build because I have no welding supplies or access to a welding shop and I wanted to keep costs down.  I also wanted to build slowly (given my very busy day job) and purchase things from time to time, paycheck to paycheck. 

My goal is to build a 4x6x2 wood explorer box on top of a Harbor Freight super duty 1720-lb 4x8 folding trailer, modified to 4x6.  The top of the box will open on both sides to create a platform for a tent.  Right now my goal is to use a Kodiak 2-person 6x8.5 ft canvas tent (currently $279 with free shipping online).  When it is done, it should look a lot like a pop-up camper.

Wingnut

[Image: view?usp=sharing]

Purchased Harbor Freight trailer last weekend

Wingnut

[Image: 20190323_124034.jpg?dl=0]

Cut the back side rails from 48" to 24" yesterday with cheap ($13) hacksaw  to modify the trailer from 4x8 to 4x6. 
Drilled four new 3/8" holes on back end of back side rails with the 1" step drill bit and Dewalt hand drill. 
Finished sanding and priming most of the red steel pieces today. Intending to paint with black trailer and implement paint next.

So far, invested $518 in the trailer, which includes $349.99 for the trailer, 8' section of 2"x2" square steel for a central support bar and tongue extension, plus primer, paint, hacksaw, and 1" step drill bit.  My goal is $1,500 or less for the entire build.  This may be realistic, since with the tent it will be $798.  Plus I want to get some high quality road-ready radial tires on wheels (~$200, to make it about $1,000).

Scott

Super Moderator

Threads: 154

Nice to hear about your project, look forward to seeing it progress.

Not sure what is up with the dropbox pictures. Are they set to public?
Scott Chaney - Owner of Compact Camping Concepts
Home of the DIY Explorer Box and Dinoot trailers, also Tent Topped camping

Wingnut

(03-24-2019, 10:27 AM) Scott Wrote: Nice to hear about your project, look forward to seeing it progress.

Not sure what is up with the dropbox pictures.  Are they set to public?

Having trouble uploading photos.  Tried from Dropbox and Google Drive.  When I try to drag photos to the text box, I am told my message has too many characters and won't let me save.  I know the Google Drive folder is set to public.  Not sure what to do. -Lauren.

Scott

Super Moderator

Threads: 154

Hmm, took a quick look, didn't find the problem. I normally use Flickr, so not a familiar with the others. Will look again when I have some time.
Scott Chaney - Owner of Compact Camping Concepts
Home of the DIY Explorer Box and Dinoot trailers, also Tent Topped camping