Help  Portal
 Portal
Hello There, Guest!  Register  Login

4x8 5x6 build that stores easily in garage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

deeve97124

Threads: 1

I have limited space in my garage as I am sure a lot of folks have.  I also do not have the room, nor can I keep it outside because of HOA rules.  I currently have a really nice Iron Eagle 6x8 that is great for all kinds of things, but it takes up too much space in the garage. I am tired of having to always shuffle things around just to do work or get it out to use.   I would like to get something like a folding trailer or one that I can stand up on end.  I want to be able to use the trailer for hauling/utility work but also use for camping gear. My utility work requirement would be to safely carry a full sheet of 4x8 goods. I figure everything else can be made to fit.  Also, having decent sized tires/hubs for a day or two of highway driving to get to an area if I am using it for camping gear. 

Is Harbor Freight the way to go, or?

jscherb

Threads: 33

I installed two receivers at the back of my prototype Dinoot to mount stabilizer jacks in:

[Image: Stabilizers1.jpg]

One of the other ways those two receivers can be used is to hold a simple "tip up" stand for storing the trailer vertically in the garage.

[Image: VerticalStorage1.jpg]

The L-stands in the drawing above each have a short piece of receiver welded to them for a front-facing stabilizing leg to slip into.

Depending of the weight of your trailer, it may take two people to tip it up, or you might want to attach an inexpensive boat trailer winch ($20 or so at HF) to the ceiling to pull the tongue up.

If you've only got a single centered receiver on the back of the trailer, you'd need a slightly more complicated stand, but the same principles apply.

The trailer in the first photo is built on a Harbor Freight frame BTW.

deeve97124

Thank you, Jeff. Dinoot is right down the road from me and I have looked at their builds. I like their stuff a lot.  Do you think the tub would hold up to general utility use?  The extended 6'6"x 59" would fit a 4x8 piece of plywood ok with it sticking out a little, which really is the same with most pickup beds nowadays. 

Thank you!  

Dave

PS.  I have a big box of Morryde gear in my garage I picked up yesterday.  The installing begins tomorrow.

PPS.  I was thinking Dinoot would be a good company to build things like your modular top and tailgate door.

jscherb

(04-06-2019, 02:40 PM) deeve97124 Wrote: Thank you, Jeff. Dinoot is right down the road from me and I have looked at their builds. I like their stuff a lot.  Do you think the tub would hold up to general utility use?  The extended 6'6"x 59" would fit a 4x8 piece of plywood ok with it sticking out a little, which really is the same with most pickup beds nowadays. 

Thank you!  

Dave

PS.  I have a big box of Morryde gear in my garage I picked up yesterday.  The installing begins tomorrow.

PPS.  I was thinking Dinoot would be a good company to build things like your modular top and tailgate door.

Dave,

The Dinoot tubs are very sturdy.  I use my prototypes for hauling all kinds of things around.  I don't have the j-series prototype around anymore, but it served very well for general hauling.  I do still use the m-series prototype all the time for hauling things - I often use it as a parts-getter when I'm picking up craigslist finds for other projects, and I use it for hauling lawn and yard supplies around.

I carry plywood all the time on top of my m-series.  I also carry plywood inside my jeep-tub trailer (the metal trailer that was the inspiration for the j-series fiberglass design), and it hangs off the back a little but works fine.  This is the metal tub trailer, it served very well when i was moving my son to his new apartment in D.C., but a fiberglass Dinoot would handle the job just as well.  Most of the stuff was out of the trailer by the time Robert took this photo but I still have to manhandle the couch out of it.

[Image: RobtMove2_zpsm0xwckwu.jpg]

And here's my m-series picking up fertilizer and topsoil at Lowes, had to use the trailer because the truck bed was full....

[Image: TrailerWorking1_zpssqrbwvxq.jpg]

Not sure Scott @ Dinoot wants to get into Jeep accessories but  I am in a conversation with someone who's interested in bringing some of my fiberglass Jeep designs to market, so maybe some of them will become available.

Looking forward to your MORryde installs.
Jeff

PS: You know I designed the Dinoot tub kits, right?

deeve97124

Jeff, I had no idea you designed those, but I am not surprised.   It has your signature ingenuity and design style written all over it. How long from the back to the tip of the tongue is your M Series.  I really like the lines of that.

jscherb

(04-06-2019, 05:29 PM) deeve97124 Wrote: Jeff, I had no idea you designed those, but I am not surprised.   It has your signature ingenuity and design style written all over it. How long from the back to the tip of the tongue is your M Series.  I really like the lines of that.

Thanks Smile.

I don't have the measurement handy, but the tub is 6' and the tongue is about 3'8", so total length of roughly 9'8".  It's on a modified Harbor Freight frame, the instructions for the mods are in my military trailer build thread: https://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119.html.  Lots of detail in that thread.  You can use a modified HF frame as I did, or Scott can supply you with a custom welded frame, they're very nice.

jeff

deeve97124

Sorry if I am getting in the weeds but, do you just place sheet goods (48"x96") on top like a big lid? If I read correctly, the M series is a bit smaller than 48"

jscherb

(04-07-2019, 06:28 AM) deeve97124 Wrote: Sorry if I am getting in the weeds but, do you just place sheet goods (48"x96")  on top like a big lid?  If I read correctly, the M series is a bit smaller than 48"

Happy to answer any questions you have, nothing is too detailed.

The m-series is 48" wide, so a sheet of plywood can lay on the top of the tub and be strapped down.  

I've done it several ways - when I've got the hard cover on the trailer, I lay a mover's blanket on the lid so I don't scratch the paint, lay the plywood on that, and strap it down.

I also have a rack that mounts to the hard cover, sometimes for fetching plywood I put the rack on (4 bolts) and then I can use clamps to secure the plywood to the rack:

[Image: M72Work2_zpsd3fd86cc.jpg]

FYI here's what the rack looks like, I made it out of the parts of an old bed frame.  There are 4 holes in the cover with threaded inserts that the rack attaches to.

[Image: BedRack5_zps97cf54d2.jpg]

Scott

Super Moderator

Threads: 154

As Jeff mentioned they handle general utility service fine, but when it comes to hauling things like gravel and dirt, I grab a u-haul trailer have the day.

When hauling plywood on my Compact J-Series with a No Weld Rack, I use a couple of 2x4s to support it because the rack is only 58" long.
Scott Chaney - Owner of Compact Camping Concepts
Home of the DIY Explorer Box and Dinoot trailers, also Tent Topped camping

deeve97124

Hello Scott  I live in Hillsboro, which I believe is just up the road from your business.   I have looked at so many trailers on here over the last few days, I am not sure which one you are talking about.

Thank you, Jeff.  That looks like a pretty quick and easy load and haul setup.