Progress has been slow but steady.
Decided to weld the spare tire carrier directly to the frame (I've since adding reinforcing to the point where the tube welds to body):
Got the holes cut for the Heater mount:
I also got the hinged bed frame built and tested:
Here's my wife testing the 34x74x6 inch mattress:
Here's me testing that the edge of the bed supports my whole body weight:
Here's is a test fit of the lower rear Aluminum panel (0.08" thickness):
Here's the door frame clamped in place so I could test climbing in and out. The 20x28 inch opening is big enough for me to get in and out comfortably. There will be a fold down ladder to get me up to the opening.
Here's the door and door frame with the paddle latch shown:
This week I got the "fiddly bits" of the left wing done. The 0.10" Aluminum plate bolts onto this frame with about a hundred 1/4" flanged button head cap screws. I've welded several tabs where the vertical tubes will be welded. This is critical for make the trailer water-tight.
I was hoping to be much closer to done, but three things have slowed me down:
1. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, so there's that.
2. Mixing a steel frame with aluminum sheet means lots of drilling, tapping and screwing.
3. Making the whole thing water-tight takes a lot more attention to detail.
So in some ways I really am building a boat... at least in terms of water-tightness.
But I am convinced that the final result will be more than strong enough to handle washboard roads without coming apart.
Liberty Hill, TX, February 7, 2015.