I got some more work done (finally) on the trailer. Change of city and jobs made getting work done difficult.
Biggest change to the HF trailer was a 3500# axle. While perusing craigslist I found a guy who sales trailer parts. So on a whim, I asked about some 15 inch wheels. Yup he had them $25 each... And round fenders for $20, Cool deal. When I sent to meet to pick them up we talked about the trailer. I mentioned I wanted to swap the hubs out to mount the 15 inch tires or buy an axle online, he said, "I'd make you a new #3500 axle, new hubs to your dimensions and throw in a spare hub for $125 and have it done by Monday" ( it was Thursday) So there ya go! I bought some 235/70/r15 wranglers to go onto the wheels, and the new axle.
I picked up a set of dual eye springs from Northern Tool and the hangers and made the bracket to bolt them on. Here is what she looks like:
So you know I swapped the spring mount plates to mount correctly. After the pic was taken.
As you can see the heeler pup was there to inspect my work. Then my nephew came in to offer some expert mechanic'an help.
Nevermind the clutter in the garage, three families worth of "shtuff" makes for a tight work area!
I had an older Hidden hitch receiver tray sitting around doin nothin so I decided to mount it to the front. After cutting it down it looks nice up front. I built some supports from the tongue to the sides of the trailer (don't know the official name) and bolted them on. Mounted the tray and I like the out come. I later had the supports welded to the tongue and frame base.
I mocked up my cooler and a "fat 50" ammo can just for a visual.
Alot of HF empty boxes on the floor! lol
So with the rolling chassis at a good spot, I started on the box. I went with 1/2 plywood and mocked up the "A" track cargo hold down rails.
I then cut more plywood to recess the track in the floor and then screwed the plywood down after using liquid nails to help fuse the two sheets of plywood. So basically I have a 1" (not really 1", 15/32 X 2 = 0.96774193548 inches, but close enough) floor. Should be sturdy enough.
The base run of tongue and grove pine was ripped to give me a flat surface for the top and bottom and it was secured to the floor.
more on the next post: